Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kitchen Prayer


I found this prayer years ago, in the Amish cook book that my parents gave to me. It is one of my favorite prayers, and I thought I would share it.

Kitchen Prayer

Dear Lord, before I start this day of tasks that it will bring
May I refresh my soul right here where pots and kettles sing.
This is my "realm" where I perform the work I best can do.
And here I always seem to feel especially near to you.

For you have planned in this small room such homely tasks for me
That I can do them easily and keep my mind on thee.
The writings of the Holy Book, the lessons they all teach.
I've but to live them day by day serenity to reach.

Again when twilight time has come give me a short time, too,
Here, through the deepening shadows, my tidied kitchen view.
And solace find in simple things accomplished here by me,
A flaky pie, a loaf of bread, my family's joy to see.
The things that in this little home I do with practiced skill,
Help me as well in other ways, O Lord to do thy will.
Harriet Elmbald

2 comments:

  1. Juli ~ Such a sweet picture and I love the Kitchen Prayer! Thank you for sharing! Hugs ~ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teri! We were waiting for the 4th of July parade to start in that photo. :)

    ReplyDelete