Saturday, February 27, 2010

Recipe For Amish Donuts~

Jill, here is the recipe for the donuts I made the other day. I cut the batch in half, and for my family of six there was the perfect serving of donuts. If you are cooking for more, or just want some for later, you should make the entire batch.

3/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of sea salt
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of warm water
1 pack of yeast, or 2.5 teaspoons if you use bulk yeast like me.
1 beaten egg
3 cups of unbleached flour (organic is best) You can add a little extra if your dough is too soft.

(on the reverse, if your dough is not moist enough to form a proper ball, add a little extra warm water, just a drop at a time, as a little goes a long way.)

In a pan heat milk, sugar, salt and butter, until the butter is melted. Cool to a luke-warm temp. I just take a spoon and lift up the milk mixture and pour in back into the pan, again and again, and this process cools it fast.

Measure your warm water into your large bowl, or kitchen aid, sprinkle in yeast, stir until dissolved. Add the milk mixture, egg, and flour very slowly. Use dough hook, or stir until it forms a dough. (if you have a kitchen aid let it knead the dough for you for about 5 min.) If you are doing the kneading by hand, then do it a bit longer. Cover, and let rise 20-30 min. (I sometimes skip this step, but if there is time I like to allow for it.) Punch dough down, roll it out and cut with a little cup. Use a cap to cut the holes, or in my case, I use a very small medicine measuring cup. Add a little oil to a small pan. (enough for the donuts to float.) On Med. heat fry the donuts, then put into glaze as soon as done, and lay on a plate.

Glaze Recipe

2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla

I like to sprinkle some cinnamon into this glaze when I've made half of my donuts, because I think it makes them oh so much yummier!

That's it. You can let the children frost and sprinkle them if you like, after the glaze has dried.

3 comments:

  1. I had a what was called a Amish Donut at a craft show. They were huge and so very good..Would this be the same recipe that they would of used?? They sold them for 2.oo a donut and warm when served...
    I would love to have that recipe..

    ReplyDelete