Friday, January 7, 2011

Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe

This is a recipe that my sister found for me years ago on a wonderful blog at www.homesteepedhope.com It is for the Amish Friendship Bread Starter. I am going to first post the starter recipe, and when I make the bread (in 10 days) I will post the Amish Friendship Bread Recipes that I have as well. They are both super moist and yummy. This is worth the time it takes to make the started, because the bread is very good, and it is fun to share with friends and family as well.

Starter Recipe: Note...do not stir with metal spoon, or use a metal bowl


DAY NUMBER 1

1 pack of yeast (or if you use bulk like me 2.5 teaspoons)
1/4 cup of warm water
~In a small bowl combine the water and yeast and let set for 10 min. Stir with a non-metal spoon.




1 cup of organic flour
1 cup of sugar

~ In a 2 quart (non-metal) container combine your flour and sugar




1 cup of milk
~Slowly stir in milk and dissolved yeast mixture. (remember to use a non-metal spoon) Truly a whisk would be wonderful, but because you can not use metal, I used a spatial and then put my lid on my plastic container (it is a lock & lock, so it is a tight seal) then I shook it really good. Next I washed and dried the lid, and put in on the top very loose and put it aside until tomorrow.



Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature.


DAY 2

Stir with a non-metal spoon, cover loosely and let set until day 5
Here is a photo of what it should look like on day two, before you stir...



Here is what it looks after you stir (with a non-metal spoon of course!)





Day 5

Stir in 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of sugar (with a non-metal spoon) :)
cover loosely and let sit

Days 6-9 Stir with a non-metal spoon

Day 10

Stir into the starter 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk & 1 cup of sugar. Now your starter is ready to use for bread!!!

This can be frozen in 1 cup portions to use for more bread later, or you can share it, or just bake extra for friends. I will post the two bread recipes before I make my bread. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment